jueves, 24 de diciembre de 2009

This is it...or is it?

Last time I couldn't end it, but this time I'll come through; beginning the ending is tough. Rather than endless photos, (un)inspiring music, and generic adjectives like "incredible, unforgettable, etc.", I think the best way to sum up the experience is to kick the tires and light the fires the way my Spanish professor, Scott Larsen, always did, "sum up Don Quijote in 25 words or less". I went to uruguay with the intense desire and vague intention to work in development. While there, "lo vague" faded away as I met and began to work with others with an equally intense, if not more so, desire to help. We all learned about the talents we have to share and formed more-solid ideas of how to use them. Everyone has something they can share. As they say, a candle feeds the flame, and together we started something that god-willing won't burn out. Work and Fun, many times hand in hand. Then come the airplane and the goodbye at the airport along with mixed emotions, knowing that I will miss and be missed, knowing at the same time that I'm no longer needed.

Clearly I used more than 25 words; trying to sum up Don Quijote in so few words was always a task un tanto quijotesque anyway. My professor also used to say that one of the most important things is to be able to put a finish to an asunto. Start it, work it, and you've got to end it. Take for example the Beatles song "I want you(She's so heavy)". No one ever discovered the way to end it. So here goes,

I not only Yankeed them, they Uruguayed me. Watch the video on the Youtube bar to the left. Click on the top video or search "Axl Rose cantando cumbia". If you like it, you might be a little Uruguayan as well. If you don't, drink some mate, eat some asado, swear off fruits and vegetables for life, and stay up until 5 in the morning more often than not. Then try again!